Monday, July 5, 2010

First solo trip - Bali Countdown to 2010






30th Dec 09. I called up my gf.. should we NOT countdown in Singapore? We both decided not to, of course. So off we went. Book tickets, and flew off on the next day. However, we bitches had a fight even we even took off and we end up in totally 2 different countries. And the rest is history. I got hooked on solo travels.


I arrived at 11pm on new year's eve, alone, still mad at my friend, without any place to stay, lost in a foreign land. I'm not gonna make it to the countdown i thought. Took a cab to kuta beach, well.. it's a tourist area, so i guess there should be partying and hostels.

At 11.45pm - 15mins more! Occasional fireworks were already exploding in the sky, warning everyone that party is getting started. People on the streets are obviously in the partying mood. Some were dead drunk even before new year! What a waste. And myself, carrying a backpack, still lost in this middle of frenzy and madness! What are the chances of finding a place to stay in Bali, on a new year's eve ?! I walked for half an hour desperately finding any hostels that would take me in. It's not that i'm gonna sleep on a new year's eve. But i would need a place to put my bag at least!

The streets are getting even more packed by now. I looked weird carrying a backpack, obviously still looking for a place to stay and can't wait to party. Party with who? That's a question everyone asked me and a question i asked myself while i was there. I hop into one of the hostels.. not surprising that they are full for the night. The staffs were really nice. They suggested i should sleep in their reception for the night and checked in the next day. And that's what i did. Bali was so hot and humid even it's the night. Everyone was walking around topless and bikinis. What a sight! Sweeeeet. The staffs even switched on their AC for me for the night and handed me towel, pillows and blanky! no charges of cos. Room at $10USD/night. No AC, twin bed + personal toilet. WHERE TO FIND...

I left my bag with them and headed out in my shorts and tube to the beach where everyone was going. Yes, i was still alone. Loneliness was part of the whole trip. Every trip in fact. Good or bad, like it or not, i felt lonely. Nonetheless, it wasn't a bad thing afterall. It's only being lost in a foreign place, surrounded by potential dangers, strangers and realising you got no one but yourself, makes me feel alive and breathing. It's only then i realized that everything around is happening.. it's too surreal and too real at the same time. And everything i did was truly for the moment - surviving and be safe. Not reports/emails/worrying about bills next month or bosses.


The Countdown to 2010:

A 5mins walk to the beach turned out to be 30mins. The streets were incredibly filled with party goers, bikes jammed up the whole street, everyone literally jumping over bikes, inching forward every 2mins. And to add on to the already chaotic traffic, the heat and humidity were intense! The fireworks and the roaring music from the beach had already started and I was still stuck in this jam?!

Here's how jammed up the street was. I could feel someone breathing down my back and I was having breathing difficult smelling this Aussie guy infront of me. In this midst of chaos and frustration, i felt something hard rubbing against my ass!? Maybe it's an accident since everyone's so close to each other. Then it happened again! I turned around, gave him a glare, and yelled "Hey! Watch it!" It scary.. knowing that a japanese woman was found dead and naked at the beach i was going. How i got out of there was, i grabbed the guy infront of me, pulled him to the back of me and told him to beware of his ass being rubbed. He got the idea and after that, we end up having a great time partying at the beach! Yup, that's how we make friends.








THIS is not that guy. I met this guy on the next day i woke up at the reception. He was in the same plight as me, having no rooms and have to stay a night at the reception. So, as usual, we started talking.. and it was a wrong move. For the rest for the 3 days, he followed me like a puppy! Rather cute looking guy from Iran, but not so cute afterall. Can't believed that even while traveling, i was stalked. He slipped little notes into my room when i was out, staring into my room from his balcony upstairs. I was staying at the ground level. He was so sweet, he freaked me out.







The backpacker's Inn. Segaru Sadhu @ poppies lane 2. Thats the reception at the corner.



Partying was crazy. Bounty club was hot! wOOssh. Everyone was half naked, knocking glasses and bottles with strangers. There was this huge woman, with watermelon-size boobs dancing with a bottle of beer in between her boobs!

















Got this from a bunch of backpackers i knew at the Hostel. This picture always reminds me not to ever get this drunk. But it left me wondering, does he club in his boxers or he was stripped down? But he sure looked awesome.





No comments: