Friday, December 28, 2012

The Colosseum Trespassing


Everyone told me that it wasn't possible, to take a picture of the Colosseum without tourists and whats more, naked. Was it really impossible? Its just a matter of getting caught and of course, the guts. To strip down to your socks at 5degC winter.

So what does 2 drunks do together? Trespassing.

The desire in me to be nude inside the huge ancient stadium was too much to keep down. ONe of the reasons why i'm back here the second time. We arrive outside on Robbie's scooter. Braving the freezing wind, i could feel that a headache is developing from this cold at 5am. Rome is beautifully mysterious during this hour. No cars, no people, what remains are the ruined pillars, broken buildings, once held the stories of the past heros and villians. Every ruin unearthed, every curves of the ancient buildings and every stone laid on the path, stood in silence and yet screaming out their stories of the past 3000 years.

The city is so intense that even on the day that i left Rome,  i still couldnt comprehend the entire emotions that the city holds. I've been to Rome twice and yet i can surely say that i've not seen and know Rome. I wish i could go back in time. I am comfortable. I am excitedc, happy and full of life when in the midst of the city. And yet, i felt that i don't belong there. Yime stood still. Everything changed except for the ancient city.

I constantly have this movie which repeats itself that fast forwar. The buildings/structures/roads stay the same and modern roads are added, lights filled in, cafes/restaurants mushroomed, shops, people of modern times crept in but the structures are still there. I imagined the movie to play in reverse where every thing fade out and removed one after the other. How this place gonna look like? The playback repeats inself that i did thought it was getting me sick. Its either too intense or im getting bonkers.

Colosseum in sight! We walked along its gates looking for a flaw or an easy foothole. Found it. But its still a 4metres high metal gate with sharp pointy tips! Then movies i'd seen on TV, of people getting pierced by such metal tips/gates/railings while trying to climb over it flashed through my mind. I knew TV unhealthy. And if i became one of those featured on TV, it will be disastrous!

While battling these insane thoughts, RObbie was already onthe other side of the gate. Great climber! So following his instructions, and having great confidence in my "cross-fitted" limbs, i managed to get over the first gate. So my limbs are not that strong as i thought. They almost failed me. Ok, second gate, same thing. Left here, right foot there, one leg over, (now the pointy tips are stuck right at my anal, if this thing pierce through, i can't imagine), the other leg over, left foot here, right there, twist and jump. Sounds easy huh. I've got muscles ache the next day. Boo.

So walking through that short tunnel, it ipened up to this great magnificient sight. Breathtaking! The lights fall on the centre. Its a stadium, an old, old one. The curves and every architectual were made perfect, even part of it is ruined. You can see the perfection during its making. No time to lose! I still couldnt believe that i got in.

I tore out every precious fabric on me, in this damn winter, ran to the planned spot, snap snap, done! I did it a few times in various countries that im almost quite well rehearsed. In the few seconds of nudity, i wasn't even conscious that i was actually clothe-less. Not because i got used to being naked in public. I was too distracted by this grand structure. Trying to take in every precious moment i have with this beautiful architectual. There you are, just me and you. Just so you lknow, i am not in love with structures. They are madmade regardless of how awesome they are. Its still the works of human. Great, spectacular, but still, man made. Its the stories and mysteries that it holds that drew me near everytime.

Getting naked isnt a habit, or just another fun crazy idea. Its a statement i am putting across, or trying to put across to people about nudity. Loving yourself, putting down all defense and just be real. The clothes on us are not merely fabric but defense, ego, pride, false idenities, deceptions, and a self create personality that one show to the world. Without all these, arent everyone just as naked as everyone? We seems okay with violence, and yet we race to criticise and judge nudity.

Putting back my clothes, i walked out with massive satisfation. Checkbox, ticked!

So there it is, the colosseum climb. An experience i wouldn't forget.



No comments: